Thursday, May 4, 2017

I was born in a small town in North Mississippi.  Summers were spent barefoot at Maime's, my grandmother, she lived down the road.  We lived in the country and I played all day with my siblings and cousins. 

Reminiscing about fond childhood memories gives me a sense of happiness.  While my childhood had it's share of good and bad, somewhere along the way I became, as labeled by my Mother, a "Worry Wart." 

Anxiety latched on and became a part of me.  In my twenties there were several times it sent me to the doctor.  Looking back at this struggle it never occurred to me to give it to God and focus on emotional healing.  Sometimes God heals right away but in my case He chose a different healing journey.  Mine is a faith journey.  It bent me, stretched me, and through this journey God grew me in knowing Him. 

Shaun & I at Mast General Store

My husband, Shaun, said it this way, "When you go through struggles it's not just for you.  You are to use what you have learned in the struggle to help others."  So, hopefully by sharing my anxiety battle and how God led me to overcome, heal, and thrive you will be encouraged to keep striving and learning until you too are healed!

Now, I would like to list a few things that helped me deal with anxiety.  I've been reading books and researching and growing in herbal care.  I began using herbs and essential oils like lavender.  I even enrolled in the introductory course at the New England Herbal Academy online.  My family and I started Tai Chi.  Tai Chi is a form of martial arts that helped me not only exercise but also relax.  Deep Breathing Exercise, which I have more info on below, and prayer.  Yes, prayer was key for me.  I will dive more into the helpful ways God led me to heal in a later post.



At the end of each blog post I want to pass along a tip that I found helpful in dealing with anxiety and fear.

Tip 1:  Deep Breathing Exercise (10-15 min)
  1. Sit or lie down and relax
  2. Place hand on your abdomen to see if it expands as you breathe.  If only your chest moves with your breaths you are shallow breathing.
  3. Breathe deeply through your mouth, and breathe all the way down to your belly button.  Your stomach should rise as you inhale not your chest.
  4. Hold your breath for a few seconds and then exhale slowly and fully.  ( from "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin)
Not only does deep breathing benefit the physical body it helped me relax and let go of emotional stress.
(DISCLAIMER:  Any information or tip in any of my blog posts are not intended to treat, diagnose or heal any condition.)

I hope you have enjoyed this post. 
Please share ways you have found helpful in dealing with anxiety.

Blessings,
Alisha

No comments: